The Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner is not supported in Fedora 17 by sane. In a previous post I describe how to install this scanner on Ubuntu. The process is similar except for the package names and commands. To get the scanner to work in Fedora you must download and install third party software. This how to describes how I was able to install it on Fedora 17 64-bit.
- Make sure sane and xsane are installed.
- Edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and uncomment epson2 if it is not done already.
- Go to http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sa…-external.html
- Scroll down and find “Perfection 4490 PHOTO” and fill out the distribution and location information.Click on the link and you’ll be redirected to Avasys http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
- There is no 17 for the Fedora listing so choose 16. Fill in the form and download iscan-data-1.13.0-1.noarch.rpm, iscan-2.28.1-3-ltdl7.x86_64.rpm and iscan-plugin-gt-x750_2.1.2-1.x86_64.rpm for 64 bit RPM 64 bit package [libltd7] (for Fedora 11 or later)
- Install the two files from a terminal or by double clicking. (sudo rpm -ivh -i iscan*)
- Power cycle or unplug-plug back in the scanner.
- From the terminal test that sane finds the system (sane-find-scanner and also run scanimage -L)
- Open X-sane and start scanning.
Update: The Avasys site is transitioning the drivers to Epson which can be found here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/